By March 7, 2007

BBC’s online personality quiz

I found this on a survival and preparedness forum, of all places: the BBC’s “What Am I Like?“online personality quiz. The quiz is twenty multiple choice questions broken up into four sections. I think my results are in line with how I see myself: orderly, logical, social, and stable. I also dislike it when people are late to a meeting without reason, or don’t abide by rules to which they’ve agreed.

Now listen up. We’re going to do this a little bit differently this time. I want you to take the test, and then take the test however you think I would answer. I’ll do the same for everyone who replies. If you don’t know me in meatspace, go from how you know me from Gibberish, Ars, the FZ6 forum, whatever. A shortcoming with any of these tests is that people sub/consciously select answers that matches to their perceived lifestyle, and not always their actual self.

Here are my results:

Your answers suggest you are a Supervisor

The four aspects that make up this personality type are:
Planner, Facts, Heads and Extrovert
Summary of Supervisors

* Bring order to their home and work life
* Like to act on clear, achievable goals
* Think of themselves as stable, practical and sociable
* May be irritated when people don’t follow procedures

More about Supervisors

Supervisors like to make plans, organise people and get things done efficiently. They are natural administrators who dislike chaos and strive to bring order to every aspect of their lives. Supervisors like jobs where the goals are clearly defined and there are proven work methods in place.

Supervisors are most likely to say they prefer a job which involves a series of separate projects, according to a UK survey.

Supervisors use logic to solve problems and believe in being open and direct in their communications with others. They prefer to work and socialise with like-minded people.

In situations where they can’t use their talents or are unappreciated, Supervisors may reject the opinions of others and insist they are right. Under extreme stress, Supervisors may feel cut off from the people around them and lose confidence in their own ability to cope.

Because they like to take charge and organise activities, others may find Supervisors too bossy.
Supervisor Careers

Supervisors are often drawn to jobs in management or administration that require logical planning.

It’s important to remember that no survey can predict personality type with 100 percent accuracy. Experts say that we should use personality type to better understand ourselves and others, but shouldn’t feel restricted by our results.

No tags for this post.
Posted in: gibberish, link and run

23 Comments on "BBC’s online personality quiz"

I agree with the Realist. I answered Peacemaker for you:

* Value personal freedom
    * Particularly sensitive to the feelings of others
    * Think of themselves as steady, gentle and sympathetic
    * Others may mistake their quiet nature for weakness

I considered your role within your family and your job in making my decisions. What do you think?

2. roclar says:

Without reading your results first I got:

Your answers suggest you are a Supervisor

The four aspects that make up this personality type are:
    Planner, Facts, Heads and Extrovert

Summary of Supervisors
    Bring order to their home and work life
    Like to act on clear, achievable goals
    Think of themselves as stable, practical and sociable
    May be irritated when people don’t follow procedures
    More about Supervisors

Supervisor Careers

Not too shabby. Shall I take it for me now?

3. seeyo says:

For you I got:

Results
    Your answers suggest you are a Provider

The four aspects that make up this personality type are:
    Planner, Facts, Hearts and Extrovert
    Summary of Providers

* Warm, caring people who value order and tradition
    * Loyal workers who follow through on commitments
    * Think of themselves as sympathetic, easy-going and steady
    * They don’t feel comfortable with radical change

More about Providers

Providers like to make plans with other people and then to work with them towards achievable goals in a fun, harmonious environment. They support people that are important to them and respect their individuality.

Provider is the most common personality type for women in the UK, according to a nationwide survey.

Providers have traditional values and support order and responsible behaviour. They enjoy social events, particularly family celebrations, and often help plan them. Providers work hard to avoid conflict, but they will state their beliefs when they think it is suitable.

In situations where they can’t use their talents or are unappreciated, Providers may doubt their abilities and focus solely on the needs of other people. Under extreme stress, Providers may withdraw completely and become excessively critical of themselves and others.

Providers prefer warm, face-to-face communication and often express their ideas by telling stories from their own lives.
    Provider Careers

Providers are often drawn to jobs in education, health care or religion.

Not sure how I agree with the results but looking at the two available datasets it seems I agreed with the pack for two out of three of the attributes.

I’m not sure how my answers generated the Heart over Head result, maybe deep down I think you’re a softie

4. seeyo says:

My Results:
    Your answers suggest you are a Resolver

The four aspects that make up this personality type are:
    Spontaneous, Facts, Heads and Introvert
    Summary of Resolvers

* Good at getting to the heart of a problem and quickly finding a solution
    * Make rational decisions using the facts available
    * Think of themselves as understanding, stable and easy-going
    * May focus on short-term results and lose sight of the big picture

You totally sound like a Resolver. I came up with Mastermind, which I think also fits. Here are some of the qualities of a mastermind:

* Visionaries who put energy into achieving their goals
    * Prefer to work independently and dislike inefficiency
    * Think of themselves as logical, thorough, and bright
    * Values practicality and common sense above ideas and theories

I considered how you worked with others at our previous joint-employer and your smoke-breaks in my answers. I see you as a very bright lone wolf who will work with others, but only when they have the same base intelligence/grasp of the material as you do.

6. roclar says:

My results:

Your answers suggest you are a Realist

The four aspects that make up this personality type are:
    Planner, Facts, Heads and Introvert

Summary of Realists
    Loyal and steady workers who meet deadlines
    Believe in established rules and respect facts
    Think of themselves as mature, stable and conscientious
    May appear too logical or tough-minded and forget their impact on other people
    More about Realists

Realists are loyal to the people around them and work hard to keep their promises. They are honest and straightforward with others and expect the same in return. Realists believe in standard procedures and will only support change when there is a demonstrable benefit.

Realists are the most common personality type in the UK, according to a nationwide survey.

Realists respect factual information, which they store up to use when making decisions. This group likes to have time to think quietly and carefully before taking action.

These extremely productive people like to be occupied in their leisure time with pursuits such as craftwork, hiking or reading.

In situations where they can’t use their talents or are unappreciated, Realists may become obsessed with schedules, critical of others or have trouble trusting other people to get the job done properly. Under extreme stress, Realists may complain loudly that events have taken a turn for the worse and predict negative outcomes.

Realists typically only share their opinions or personal experiences with trusted friends.
    Realist Careers

Realists are attracted to jobs where decision making based on factual knowledge and experience is required.

7. roclar says:

Not sure about the spontaneous part. I figure I am at least 90% planned at least. Hearts/Mind…that could realistically go either way depending on context, so thats tough. I was definitely in a mind mood today though.

8. Stomper says:

OK so you set up rules before we even started. That’s cool, can deal with that. But here’s the catch. There are 11 questions for which I could have selected at least 2 different answers for me (really decisive) depending on the situations I consider. And there weren’t as many questions for which multiple answers would have applied to you depending… but there were quite a few. Most people have multiple facets to their personality. Hence I really find these tests annoying. Was that a good enough whine? Oh ya — no laughing!!

OK for me: Summary of Realists
    Loyal and steady workers who meet deadlines
    Believe in established rules and respect facts
    Think of themselves as mature, stable and conscientious
    May appear too logical or tough-minded and forget their impact on other people

OK for you: Summary of Mentors
    Warm and lively people who focus on the needs of others
    Bring people together and encourage group participation
    Think of themselves as intelligent, outgoing and sensitive
    May become overbearing in their quest for harmony

I wouldn’t have picked Mentor for you at a first pass — but in recent days (months…) you have been showing many of these traits. And I can defend that answer with facts if I need to!! 🙂

Hahaha, I got Mentor for you:
    * Warm and lively people who focus on the needs of others
    * Bring people together and encourage group participation
    * Think of themselves as intelligent, outgoing and sensitive
    * May become overbearing in their quest for harmony

I considered your belief systems, interaction with others, and work ethic in my answers.

I guess I fit the Mentor type a little myself, although if we’re going strictly by the bullet points, I prefer justice over harmony. Perhaps I am confusing “mentor” with “teacher,” as I feel like I am more interested in educating with my actions than I am in a classroom setting. I couldn’t really see myself as a mentor to anyone. God help those who do. 🙂

10. ms_lady_jaye says:

I also got SUPERVISOR for you 🙂

…I know you hear this all the time, but, ooh ooh, do me do me!!

For me…REALIST. booyah!

Lady Jaye, for you I answered Performer.
    * Love fun, people and the world around them
    * Prefer hands-on learning to reading a book
    * Think of themselves as enthusiastic, sociable or sensitive
    * May forget about commitments because they’re having so much fun
    I think the Performer type fits you a lot, except maybe for being forgetful about commitments. I thought this was also pertinent:

Performers are good at reading people and figuring out what their needs are. They don’t believe in making plans and are confident that they can handle whatever comes their way. These skills allow Performers to quickly motivate others.

Living with you for almost three years guided my answers. 😉

As far as being a Realist, that seems way too dark and anti-social for you. I’m not the only one who has praised you for your ability to “read” people, and your work history backs that up. <3 :*

For Blair :

Summary of Supervisors
    Bring order to their home and work life
    Like to act on clear, achievable goals
    Think of themselves as stable, practical and sociable
    May be irritated when people don’t follow procedures

Hey Ed,

For you, I received the Strategist. I think this is way off from how you really are, based on the summary:

* Quiet, easy-going and intellectually curious
    * Use logical, objective thinking to find original solutions to problems
    * Think of themselves as bright, logical and individualistic
    * May be impractical, forgetting practical issues, such as paying bills or doing the shopping

I don’t think the first and last bullets apply to you. The summary of the Strategist doesn’t fit you well, either. I based my answers on knowing how you handle stress, what you get (or do not get) irritated about, your intellect, and your unrivaled quick wit and creativity. Considering that you are the most logical “creative” person I know, I am not surprised that the personality test didn’t match you up with my perception.

15. Ninja Mary says:

I got supervisor for you. I haven’t taken the test for myself, though. I thought the shopping questions were a little strange because people shop differently for groceries than how the shop for most other things. Well, at least I do.

Ninja Mary, I got Realist for you. Here’s a quick summary in case you don’t want to go through the thread again:

* Loyal and steady workers who meet deadlines
    * Believe in established rules and respect facts
    * Think of themselves as mature, stable and conscientious
    * May appear too logical or tough-minded and forget their impact on other people

I based my answers on your intellect, educational background, home and interests, and how you’ve interacted with mutual acquaintances. I think the characteristics of the Realist apply to you; however I’m not sure if this is the best description of your personality. I had the hardest time answering the test “through your eyes” than anyone else so far.

17. Ninja Mary says:

How interesting. I think of myself as pretty straightforward. Although I have a terrible time with personality quizzes myself–I’m never sure about what to answer. I know that’s a little sad..

18. Ramba says:

Great test! I am a Nurturer.
    Summary:
    Care for important people in their lives.
    Strive for harmony & avoid confrontation.
    Think of themselves as gentle, conscientious & mature.
    May have trouble making decisions that could hurt others.

Nurturers are quiet people who believe in order and diligently look after the people they care about. They focus on the needs of others and establish routines to help them meet their commitments.
    Nurturers remember details that are important to them, such as friends’ birthdays and anniversaries. They value other’s feelings and may challenge behavior they think is insensitive.
    In situations where they can’t use their talents or are unappreciated, they may feel bitter and seek support by complaining to their colleagues. Under extreme stress, nurturers may become preoccupied with the worst possible outcome and believe they are heading for disaster.
    Because they are so caring and loyal, they run the risk of being taken advantage of.
    Nurturers are often drawn to jobs that allow them to help others.
    Right on! What do you think, Lady Jaye ???
    DrFaulken, I will do yours soon…

19. Stomper says:

I have a confession. I didn’t really read your destructions (you probably guessed that) before I took the quiz for you. I didn’t answer it as though I was you but from what I’d seen at work, on-line and in person most recently. I’ll try again and follow your rules this time. 🙂

Ramba, for you I received Nurturer. I selected my answers based on how you interact with your son Big Poppy and the rest of your family. I also answered based on the stress of dealing with the other parents involved in Big Poppy’s sporting activities, such as the woman whose husband flew off the handle at Steve when he was reffing soccer (if I remember the details correctly).

I think Nurturer fits you very well. I look forward to seeing what you answer for me. 🙂

Stomper, after bitching about the instructions in your first post, you didn’t read them at all? :boggle:

21. Mike says:

I am a Realist.

There were quite a few questions where I thought I could legitimately pick two answers. I took the test again, choosing the ‘other’ answer and got the same result.

DrFaulken, you are a Supervisor. There are many ways in which I see (or imagine) us as similar, but I think you’re more of an extrovert than I am.

Mike, for you I got the counsellor. Here’s a recap:

* Search for meaning in their life and develop powerful insights
    * Are dedicated to helping others reach their potential
    * Think of themselves as gentle, peaceable and cautious
    * Others may find it difficult to get to know them

I think that fits you pretty well. I don’t think you’re difficult to get to know, but more than any of my other friends you keep your family life and growing up private.

You are one of the most calm and gentle people in my group of friends, and I think the characteristics of the counsellor fit you.

In determining your profile, I considered your protective instinct, your demeanor, your outlook on life, and your work ethic. The BBC test doesn’t have a proviso for raunchy humor, so alas that component of your personality was left untested. 😉

23. Ramba says:

DrFaulken…for you I got Go-getter.
    -Inventive, resourceful problem solvers with a love of life.
    -Can be tough-minded when necessary
    -Think of themselves as enthusiastic, determined, and alert
    -May become frustrated by rules and routines.
    Active, flexible people who put a great deal of energy into life. Prefers learning on the job to quiet study and willingly jumps into almost any situation. Others are attracted to your positive attitude and enthusiasm. You find fun ways to tackle problems head on and don’t worry too much about rules. Good at using logic to assess the situation and finding realistic solutions. In situations where you can’t use your talents or are unappreciated, you may reject all routines and put fun ahead of responsibilities. Under extreme stress, you may be become overwhelmed by thinking of all the things that could possibly go wrong. You may be liable to forget important dates such as a loved one’s birthday. You are attracted to a variety of careers, especially those which require attention to detail.
    How’d I do????