DrFaulken and I have had encouraging results from this eating plan.
With a mid-diet vacation in Las Vegas and a break from the gym, he has lost 6 pounds and 2% of his body fat. My weight has gone up and down, but my body fat percentage has consistently gone down.
I like this eating plan because you are given a set of ingredients to work with, but no strict recipes to follow.
The list typically contains the following:
- A protein. Morning – egg whites. Afternoon – chicken breast or egg white. Evening – salmon or chicken breast
- Oils – he likes flax and imitation butter spread, I use walnut or olive
- Fruit – apples, or mixed berries
- Lots of water.
These components are easy to customize which is important as boring food is the number one reason people stop eating clean.
You can definitely use the greens, tomato and onion in a salad. Just toss with oil and squeeze some lemon juice over it and top with your protein choice. But what if you feel like a hot meal?
Here are a couple of ways I use seasoning to keep meals interesting.
Heat the onion, tomato and oil in a skillet. Pick one spice combination from the following:
- Add crushed red pepper, cumin, and oregano (If fresh, add at the end of cooking).
- Add curry powder, garam masala, and ginger
- Add lemon zest, herbs de Provence and garlic
Add fresh spinach and cook until wilted. Fold in scrambled egg whites or chicken breast, or you can top your salmon fillet with the vegetable mixture.
Apples and apple sauce are another part of this diet. Store-bought apple sauce tastes like dooders and it reminds me of every stomach bug I’ve ever contracted ( B.R.A.T. diet anyone?) . Here’s my recipe to make your own.
- Peel, core and slice 6-8 apples
- Plop into crock pot
- Dash of salt (trust me)
- To taste: cinnamon, ginger, allspice or pumpkin pie spice
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours
You can chop the cooked apples in your food processor to get the traditional texture of applesauce, but you can also leave them in chunks.
Oatmeal is recommended as a post-work out meal, along with an apple. I like to add this applesauce to my oatmeal instead of eating a raw apple.
I hope you find these tips helpful in your own meal planning. If you have any ideas to add, please post them in the comments.