By January 10, 2011 24 Comments

How to Reset Your Samsung Printer IP Address via SetIP

I love Samsung laser printers. I have had two over the last decade or so, and they are super reliable and very affordable. I currently have a ML-2851 networked monochrome printer, and it has been great. I gave the printer a static IP address on my home network, and everyone can print to it. Back in the “old days,” I had to keep whatever computer the printer was attached to powered up all the time.

So, I moved recently, and switched my Internet providers from Verizon to Charter. The cable modem that Charter provided used a different range of internal IP addresses. Verizon used 192.168.1.x, whereas Charter used 192.168.0.x.

This caused a chicken and the egg problem: I couldn’t configure my printer because it had an address different from the rest of my computers in the house.

I knew how to fix this the hard way. I could reconfigure my cable modem router from Charter to use 192.168.1.x addresses, but that meant the other five computers in the house would have to change their settings as well.

I went to Samsung’s site, and after some creative searching I found a little utility called SetIP that does the trick.

Instructions

1. Connect your printer to any computer using a USB cord. Note that you’ll need a Type AB cable to do this, the one with a regular USB connector on one end, and a square USB connector on the other end. It looks like this:

2. Download the SetIP application from Samsung. It’s a bitch to find, and there is no description as to what this program does other than its name. Here’s Samsung’s direct link to the application as of 01/10/2011, and here’s a permanent link to the application from my Web site just in case it gets moved / removed by Samsung.
  3. Setup the SetIP program by double-clicking on it. It will extract the program and install it on your computer.
  4. Run the SetIP program and select your printer. Click the “Setup” button:

5. Configure the SetIP program like this:

• The upper part of the program has your printer’s name and machine (MAC) address. You can’t change this, so don’t worry about it.
    • IP Address: this is the address your printer has currently. You will want to change this to the address you need for your network. In most cases, it will be going from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x or vice-versa.
    • Subnet mask: in most cases you won’t need to change this. Double-check your new router just to make sure.
    • Default Gateway: you will need to change this to be your NEW router’s gateway. In most cases, it will be going from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 or vice-versa.
    • Click the apply button.
    • Click OK.
  6. You’re done!

The program is super easy to use, and if you have a lot of devices in your house in use it’s faster than changing the router and disrupting everything else.

While I did not write this program nor do I represent Samsung in any way, please let me know if you have problems and I’ll do my best to help.

Good luck.

Tags: ,
Posted in: technology

24 Comments on "How to Reset Your Samsung Printer IP Address via SetIP"

1. Eric says:

Hello: I have found your blog extremely useful though regret that I cannot seem to apply your findings to my situation. I have a Samsung ML-2510 that despite connecting to my computer, the SET IP program does not locate the printer. Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

2. DrFaulken says:

Hi there! I am not sure if I can help you, but I will try.

Is your printer connected to your computer via USB cord or a network cable?

Also, does your computer have drivers for your printer?

3. Eric says:

Hello. Thank you. It is connected via USB to my laptop for purposes of the SETIP program as noted above. I then have a USB to network cable adapter to connect to office network.

4. Paul says:

In case the printer doesn’t show up, you should press the manual button of SetIP program. Enter the MAC address at the uppermost address field, and then manually enter a possible IP that your DHCP would have assigned. (any IP within the allocation range)

The printer will then show up when you scan for a printer.

Now, in case you need to allow dynamic IP allocation (DHCP), open your browser and enter the manual IP you have assigned above. You can connect to the printer itself.

On the network tab, you can find the TCP section that lets you choose either static or dynamic IP allocation.

You’re then set! Took me a while to figure it out myself. If Samsung would only indicate that I need to enter the MAC address for printer address section, I would have saved a lot of time.

In order to figure out the MAC address of your printer, press the button on the top for about 6 seconds. Too short (2 sec) will print a demo page, and too long (10+ sec) will print a cleaning page. A tricky feature of Samsung ML-2852 printer.

Hope this helps!

5. Meg says:

Hi there,

I’m also trying to get SET IP working with my printer. I tried adding it manually: I entered the MAC address on the configuration report as well as a reasonable IP address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway. But after I press apply, it comes back a minute or two later with a message:

Cannot Receive Any Response
    Confirm Printer MAC address
    If printer prints test page, the printer did update illegal tcp/ip parameter
    Retry after restarting printer

I’ve checked the MAC address a few times, and reset my printer and tried again. It never prints a test page (without me explicitly telling it to). Printing a configuration report again shows the same IP as before. But I know the computer and the printer can communicate with each other, because I can print pages from the computer and they come out fine. Samsung’s tech support refuses to help me because I’m not American, and I’ve scoured the web and Samsung’s documentation to no avail. All I want is a factory reset, which according to their manual, requires me to have set up an IP address so I can access its internal web server. Last printer I had, factory reset was a single button. Anyway, if you have ANY tips or suggestions or vague hunches that you think could help they’d be greatly appreciated because I’m pretty much stumped for now.

6. Musp3r says:

Hi,

I couldn’t find my Samsung 1450N on network using SetIP, so I figured i could use a network switch, and connect my printer and PC through switch, then i changed my PC ip to manual IP settings that correspond to the printer network settings. When I entered manual IP settings on PC that are same subnet and network like the printer, i found it through SetIP. I believe you could do the sqame through your router, just change PC IP address to match those of the printer, just not the same IP of the printer, ie. if printer is 10.0.0.1 then pc address is 10.0.0.2, same subnet and gateway applies for both. HTH.

rgds
    mus

7. Richard says:

Thank you for this – it certainly is a b*tch to find.

8. Steve says:

Hi

I have the exact same symptons as Meg and I’m stuck as well.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steve

9. amaredra jha says:

Thanks a LOT

10. Keith Bergoff says:

Hi

I changed from a ADSL g router to TP-Link TL-MR3420 3G n router. Had no problem linking via WAN, 2 PC’s and a Netbook (XP, Vista, 7 Enterprise) and my Blackberry Torch. On LAN a HP Officejet installed with no effort on my part. My Samsung ML-2571N (which occasionally used to fall asleep on the old setup) will not communicate. The address is 10.0.0.35, on the XP PC, SETIP.exe could not find the printer but on the Vista PC it does, I can change the IP address, save and a full network report is printed. Ping command and Browser cannot find the printer.

11. Fred Flinstone says:

I have the same problem. Got on Support Chat with Samsung and after 20 minutes, he said, hold on, I have to read the manuals. :( I closed off and went to bed, but SetIP is not finding my USB connected ML-2851ND either. The search continues.

12. Morgan says:

Hi, just a quick note of thanks for posting this information. Saved me a few hours struggling to find all the info on Samsung’s site. My CLP315 is now sitting beautifully on my wired network. Cheers!

13. Tim says:

Thanks for sharing. Just spent three hours trying to solve the same problem. Was convinced the network card in the printer was the problem. SetIP worked great once i’d managed to establish the printer’s MAC address.

14. Mike says:

Sure as death and taxes, my CLP-325W stopped communicating with my wireless network within days of the warranty expiring. I just talked to a Samsung Canada guy who told me whre to d/l SetIP but nothing else; “it will get you connected”. Well, it doesn’t find the printer. By sheer coincidence I pushed the two bottom buttons on the printer control panel and it printed a network report, whcih showed me the MAC address, IP, subnet mask, and default gateway. I added these values manually to SetIP and – nothing. It also reports:

“Lind Status – Not connected” and “Link Quality: No Signal”. But of course the router works just fine for all other applications. Any more ideas? – I’m fresh out.

15. Mike says:

Been looking around on Google and on one forum’s advice have now tried plugging the printer directly into the router (Linksys WRT54G) with Ethernet cable, and lo and behold, setIP can see it. It shows the same info re: MAC address, IP, subnet etc as the network report that I printed out does. So I am assuming that the issue is with the router; does that sound right? One forum suggests using SetIp to assign a new IP that is *one digit different from my PC IP* – does that sound viable? The IP assigned to the printer now is obviously based on router IPs – it is 192.168.1.108. I’m afraid to assign a new IP to the printer. :(

16. DrFaulken says:

Hi there! Each router should have a range of dynamic IP addresses. As long as you put the printer OUTSIDE of that IP range you should be fine. For example, my router starts with .100, so my printer is .15, since it’s “below” the range of available dynamic IP addresses.

Good luck!!

17. Mike says:

Hm, that worked fine as long as the printer was connected to the router with cable – as soon as the cable’s out – nada, it’s offline again.
    I have to say this is the single most disappointed product I’ve purchased in 22 years working with computers – absolutely no exaggeration.

18. Mike says:

Or rather, disappointING. I’m bleary from working pretty much all day at this. :P

19. DrFaulken says:

Gah, I’m sorry to read your frustration.

Are you using the WPS functionality to connect via WiFi, or is there a Web interface you can access while it connected to your router by Ethernet cable?

I’m guessing here, I don’t know anything about your model.

20. MIke says:

HI Doc, I was just using SetIP while connected by Ethernet. No need to use the WPS function, it was recognized and I could print immediately.

21. Carlos says:

Thanks for the information. In Samsung does not apear the “ip change” like your site. Thanks!!!

22. Joe says:

Dr,

Thanks for posting this. I was struggling with the same issue after a router change and this resolved the issue for me.

I did do it differently as SetIP could not find my printer while connected with USB. It was able to find it when attached the router and I was able to update the IP with no issues.

Regards,

Joe

23. harry says:

u sir, are the man!! setip didn’t find my printer, but i was able to locate it (and it’s mac address in terminal). makes no sense why samsung wouldn’t allow for a master reset directly on the printer.

24. Charles says:

Doc – you saved me a load of grief. I owe you a beer or three. I was looking at having to reconfigure routers, etc to fix the ip address, and this program saved my all of the grief.

Now, for those of you out there that get the timeout when trying to use the mac address via manual method, make sure your Ethernet cable is plugged in!