By July 31, 2008

I was on instant messenger with Stilts this weekend, joking about how I wanted a “MOVE OVER” sticker with reverse type for my MazdaSpeed3 wagon. Drivers in my side of Richmond aren’t terrible, but they do have a tendency to float in the left hand lane and let faster traffic stack up behind them. I don’t mind if this happens when traffic is congested. Often the right hand lanes will be wide open, and the driver holding everyone up will be talking on their mobile phone or beating their baby, etc.

They say that there is a site for everything on the Internet, and that maxim is certainly true in this case, thanks to Left Lane Drivers Unite!, a Web site devoted to getting slower traffic out of the left hand lane. Before you jump on me (or LLDU) about speeding and other shit, it’s the law in Virginia that slower traffic has to keep right. It’s not up to the driver to keep left if they are following the speed limit or not. If someone wants to pass you, get the fuck over.

Anyway, the sticker looks good, and does exactly what I want. However, the question quickly came up: would this piss someone off if they saw it in their rear view mirror? I guess it’s better than tailgating, but this could be a shortcut to a road rage incident.

What do you think?

No tags for this post.
Posted in: gibberish

14 Comments on "“Move Over” windshield sticker: public service announcement or invitation to an asskicking?"

1. Configures says:

I sympathise with you, Virginia, and LLDU on this (slower drivers should keep right unless passing), but the sticker is kind of in your face (even though it’s funny, too). Things could get unpleasant, even to road rage levels — maybe even more so on suburban roads than interstates. Also, if they have a camera handy if a driver with that sticker is ever in an accident (even if the sticker driver was not at fault), ouch.

2. Spectre says:

What’s to keep the DB in the left lane from seeing the sticker and purposefully staying in the left lane, in turn causing road rage?

3. counsel says:

I,like most, try to follow the law. I might point out that you support your argument by saying the law says slower drivers must stay right. Most states are like this, some just have more “exeptions” when it is okay to drive in the left lane…

However, the logic you use also means those who you want to “move over” are just going to say, “slow down” since the law only allows you to go the posted velocity…

Rather than “get hot,” I try to remain calm so that I don’t give anyone the power to “control” my emotional state… It isn’t as if we need to give the gun control lobby any ammunition to say we can’t control our emotions…

Breathe. Just like you laugh at or pity the “whacko” who says the sky is falling, you could find a smile upon your face rather than anger that might make you do something you might regret- even if it is just giving them the finger-especially on states like NC where such action can and is taken to mean you might have instigated a confrontation and, in so doing, removed your ability to have a perfect defense if they draw a gun on you…or used to show, in a later case, that you are unable to “control” your emotions over these issues.

4. Thomas says:

The way to lower the chances of road rage is to add a bumper sticker to the rear of your car that reads “Driver is armed.” — may attract the fuzz though…

:-D

5. mahuddle1 says:

I think you should get it, but drive in the right-hand lane. See how many old people you can force to pull off the road. :)

That, or get “Pardon me” with a smiley on it.

6. roclar says:

Fark linked to an MSN Article on the topic which linked to another site devoted to the topic, slowertraffickeepright.com. The Fark comments linked to an MIT page with all of the State Keep Right Laws. Virginia’s law: “46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.”

The article itself mentioned that some states were starting to at least issue warnings and occasionally even ticket for some of these previously unenforced laws.

7. Jessica says:

Shouldn’t the arrow be going the other way?

8. Ric says:

well in Colorado, theres a law, where if the posted speed limit is 65, if you are NOT passing, YOU get a ticket, period, and yes, it is enforced.

Ive got a sticker same as the “move over” everyone thats talked to me about it, LOVES it, havent seen anyone flip me off, get mad at me, infact, some people will, move over, lol

9. Amber says:

I have a move over sticker like that on my windsheild and i haven’t had any road rage issues. in fact i have only had one person who wouldn’t get outta my way. and he was old and probably couldn’t see. LOL.

10. Amber says:

oh ya and i’m in virgina.

11. Pete says:

I have the sticker “Slower traffic keep right” for number of years (It is a quote from California traffic code).

I have to say that about 50% of drivers move over when they see it in rear view mirror, 20% never look in the mirror and remaining 30% intentionally start slowing down after they see it. Even if it means that ALL the right lanes are now much faster than these “smarts”. Then I just pass them on right, these are dangerous types.

I’d prefer to have “Keep right unless passing”, that’s what they have in Utah and Wyoming for example.

If someone knows where to buy it, please let us know.

12. Scott says:

Looks like a good invitation to get your ass kicked to me. I can see people brake checking you or worse with that dumb ass decal!!