By May 20, 2009

Tybee Island and return trip … in pictures

I’m several days behind on making updates on my trip to Georgia and back. I have a few things to discuss from a motorcycling perspective, some gear to review, and everything else … so instead of lagging even more on my posts, I want to show you some snapshots of my trip, and try to let the pictures do some of the talking.
We tried to get together and shoot one of the days during the trip. Unfortunately it was an outdoor range and no one knew to bring frames, so we cobbled together two targets. I got to fire about twenty rounds before the rain started to fall. One of the other attendees killed the other target stand anyway, so it was a good time to dip out. I think my eyes are fucking closed. Maybe I was just squinting to see the front site on my Rock Island Armory 1911 Government. Probably closed.
Goofing off next to the statue of James Oglethorpe, who was one of the founders of Savannah. This statue is on Bull Street, which was also the location of Gallery Espresso, an awesome coffee shop.
Crossing over from Tybee to Savannah on one of the bridges.
Another shot crossing over the bridge. The weather was overcast most of the time, but the rain was friendly (mostly).

I spent a fair amount of time on the bike, motoring around downtown Savannah and attempting to ride out to Charleston, SC with my buddy Jahos from Ars Technica. Unfortunately the rain wasn’t so kind then, so we turned back about 25 miles south of Charleston. The rest of my time in Tybee was spent eating, laughing, sleeping, talking, and playing games. It was a fantastic time. I miss it already.

But every vacation has to end, so off I went:
The road out of town was bumpy. To be honest, so was my heart. I didn’t get good sleep the night before, and every pothole or spot-patch felt like a jackhammer hitting my elbows. It wasn’t the bike’s fault; my posture sucked, my mind wasn’t right and I knew I had a long ride ahead of me.

I started to get sleepy into my ride. The weather was just about perfect, which meant the warm breeze and easy wind in my helmet lulled me into snooze mode pretty quickly. I made two more stops than I’d planned, but I needed the water and the time off of the bike.
The sky was beautiful, and aside from a 45-minute slow down in South Carolina the trip home went off without incident. Oh yeah, I did forget to bring my clear helmet visor so I spent the night portion of the ride with my tinted visor flipped up just enough to see. I had my clear riding glasses on to protect my eyes, but even then my forehead, nose, and cheeks were peppered with dead bugs when I got home.

I’ll write more about the ride itself, some of the gear I used, and the accessories I put on my bike later. But for now, I just want to look at these photos and remember.

Posted in: motorcycling

5 Comments on "Tybee Island and return trip … in pictures"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Starbuck says:

    I am glad you had a good time and I am sorry.

  2. Sideout says:

    Nice photography.

  3. Chip says:

    Cool website. The bridge photo actually looks like the Talmadge Bridge to Hutchison Island, not Tybee.

  4. Jehos says:

    You’d better spell my name right this year. 🙂

    Can’t wait to see you in Tybee again!

  5. Island Tybee says:

    Glad you had a great visit to Tybee Island. What a great post, I hope more people decided to venture down here as it s’a great place to vacation.